Pages

untitled (2010) helvetica on screen

2/2/10 10:48 PM

After researching the Mudd Club era this morning, I came back later in the day lusting for more details. I'm infatuated with atypical-type legends of underground/emerging art scenes who knowingly or not, created waves of artistic revolution, reinventing originality and designing new forms of perception. As Diane von Furstenburg so mildly comments regarding her impact on forever changing pop culture alongside Warhol in FASHION's March 2010 issue:
"You can't tell history while you're living it. It's only when you look back, and even then you don't say, 'Oh, look at what I have done.' You just live it."
Just thought I'd throw that in there since I just finished reading over the glossy pages and it feels fitting, as well as, part inspirational, part redundant. If I could hang with an underground arty avant-gard crowd forever changing the face of pop culture history - don't you think I would just do that and live it myself? Isn't that why I go to small indie concerts at Reverb on Queen W. and attend parties like "The Rager" at Sneaky Dees, duh. Or I think I'll just settle with finding my place in this universe and balance the act with some soul and artistic expression.

Speaking of artistic expression... while fulfilling my lust for everything Mudd-related, I veered down the avenue of artist Keith Haring, you know the one who curated the rotating gallery for the club... since you're following my blog so diligently... @smtwtfs. 

  
untitled (1982) marker ink and acrylic on found canvas

untitled (1987) acrylic on canvas


untitled (1990) sumi ink on board


Turns out, I'm far from alone in enjoying the work of Haring. Keith Haring is everywhere - literally! From Swiss water bottle brand SIGG's special limited-edition collectors' series (released in July 09), to Jeremy Scott/Schott collaboration result: 'The Perfecto' motorcycle jacket with all-over b&w Keith Haring inspired design, to Kanye's head at the 2009 MTV Video Music Awards.


 






'The Perfecto' by Jeremy Scott and Schott.



Kanye West @ 2009 MTV Video Music Awards.

I guess no one cared too much about his hair after his appalling antics of the evening.  



At the beginning of this year, Keith Haring Journals was inducted into Penguin Classics as a Deluxe Edition with 90 b&w images of his art, Polaroids (never-before-published) and "a remarkable glimpse of a man who, in his quest to become an artist, instead became an icon." That was so unsubtle and lame, I couldn't resist. Still, I'd be interested in flipping through the pages, wouldn't you? 

0 comments: