Pages

Lose yourself in lines dissecting

2/17/10 10:16 PM


The work of Los Angeles artist, Aili Schmeltz is fantastic.

Initially, it was the name Aili that stole my attention and desire to click - the unique, rare Finnish name is the same which my lovely sister just happens to go by. I was pleasantly surprised to find the art did not disappoint, either.


Bling 2008
styrofoam, spray foam, enamel paint, wood
34" x 21 " x 22" 


Scrolling through the 3D mixed media installations, I recalled past instances in which I attempted to create perceptive sculpture in fine art studio classes, and this is why my appreciation is great. It's not easy in the least to create something with profound conception, that is equally visually interesting as it is aesthetically pleasing. Yet to some, it looks like a pile of garbage - likely the same people who dismiss modern art without even slight consideration. 


via More New Math 

Right!?

In studio practice, Aili draws her inspiration from natural events and her most recent work is fueled by her love/hate relationship with Los Angeles, where she lives and works. 
"I am especially interested in how the landscape and weather systems are altered by the human hand, the driving social attitudes that guide those decisions and the aftermath of those alterations in terms of natural hybridization and human lifestyle shifts. This process of research began with an interest in the history of the midwestern suburban landscape and culture from my youth, where the middle class idea of “the good life” fueled a massive overhaul of the American landscape that would drastically alter how we live for generations to come."


I was mostly impressed with Aili's 2009 La Fuente de la Vida Project: Disco 1 through 5. The vivid neon colours are incredibly captivating and the sporadic patterning + linear composition is music to my eyes. 



La Fuente de la Vida Project: Disco 1 - 2009

vinyl paint and ink on paper 
96" x 72"


La Fuente de la Vida Project: Disco 2 - 2009
vinyl paint and ink on paper
96" x 72"


La Fuente de la Vida Project: Disco 3 - 2009
vinyl paint and ink on paper
96" x 72"


La Fuente de la Vida Project: Disco 4 - 2009
vinyl paint and ink on paper
72" x 96"


La Fuente de la Vida Project: Disco 5 - 2009
vinyl paint and ink on paper
72" x 96"
I think m

I'm seeing the future account of a toxic waste disaster and its glowing after effects, leading to hell on Earth. Not too far-fetched. 

I really love this Berlin Study 2, too. It just as a certain je ne sais quoi, non? ha.



Berlin Study 2 - 2009
gouache and ink on paper
18" x 24"

3 comments:

Unknown said...

i'm loving berlin study 2. i just love the way the gouache was used to depict the different textures. i was never good at gouache.

Unknown said...

and also

modern art = i could do that + yeah, but you didn't "

= GENIUS. i love it, i love it i love it.

thanks for sharing!

eep said...

I have never tried it! But I would love to! You need to come over soon so we can have an art day + photo shoot! I need a new, original twitter background. ha! Seriously though.

The New Math site is pretty funny! You should browse it, if you haven't already.

Thanks for reading and supporting smt!! It means the world to me!