Pages

Part dos: I went to Barça and came back a foodie

11/11/10 9:39 PM

Well, not exactly. However, I did go to Barça and eat incredibly exquisite, lush dinners, lunches and gelato! My love for food and fine dining still holds as always, but I'm not about to call myself a foodie - I'm really nowhere near pretentious enough for that self-proclaimed title and hopefully never will be. Although to befriend a foodie is never something I would deny. This is my biggest obstacle: I love food and I adore trying new cuisine, but I'm always so conflicted at the menu stage - what to order, alongside what appetizer and what drink to best compliment the main course ingredients. I love people who just know... and can take the pain out of my indecisiveness and order for me! In Spain, luckily the decisions were never too difficult. The menus were often printed with English translation or an entire English menu available for the ignorant tourists who "forgot" their English-to-Spanish pocket translation guide back at the hotel, or were just too hungry to bother - dinner was around 10 pm each night, can you really blame us!


Our first meal of the trip was a lovely lunch @ Next To rest-bar - a delicious ham and cheese baguette with juice (we found to be often more expensive than an alcoholic beverage). It wasn't always the case that wait staff was friendly but at this particular cafe, our waiter was incredibly friendly and took time to talk directions, traveling advice specific to the area and tipping tips (we always left tips, but he noted it's not expected the same way it is back home, you leave what you can or what you think the wait staff truly deserved). Really made a huge difference.





A Greek salad from a Irish-inspired pub (BCN is in no shortage of this style of pub).



Paella, the specialty of Spain. We took a short break from tanning on the beach and swimming in the ocean to enjoy a Catalonian platter, a pitcher of sangria and seafood paella at a beachside resto. Absolutely delightful.






The dinner at this restaurant *name TK, was an incredibly lucious delight, however the atmosphere was a little off, staff not too friendly.


Buffet @ Flaminco show.

My absolute favourite dinner was at a gallery-style restaurant of pure class and taste *Name TK, forgive me.


To die for.


Limoncello, so refreshing @ Happy Bar and Grill - although wouldn't recommend eating here, too over-Americanized.



We sampled a number of different tapas and fell in love @ Tapa Tapa! Great staff and delicious food. Recommend!


Delicious croquettes @ Tapa Tapa.


When it came to beer - we loved Estrella and Bitburger.


And lest we not forget (the soldiers, it is Rembrance Day afterall) but also le cheesebuger.


It's just one of those things that has to be done while traveling.

Thankfully we did our fair share of walking during the trip and despite what this post may convey, did not come back 300 lbs heavier.

Buen Apetito!


0 comments: