Pages

I ♥ BCN

11/10/10 8:53 PM

My ultimate dream job has been discovered, officially. It no longer falls under the categories of rock star, Broadway performer, film script writer, set/costume designer, magazine editor or Queen of the world – although I assure you these career choices would most certainly not be passed up given the opportunity. I have decided, TRAVEL WRITER EXTRAORDINAIRE to be my true calling – or at least a job I believe to be potentially the ultimate that one can acquire. What’s not to love? The ability to travel the world, experience exotic cultures, indulge in lush foreign cuisine, meet countless interesting individuals from every nationality, all the while documenting your personal accounts of it all and maybe even discovering some meaning and life purpose along the way. One word: ideal.



My dream to travel the world is nothing new, or out of the ordinary for that matter. I find it more unusual to hear of someone who doesn’t want to do this, content to stay completely caged in their familiar surroundings. And so this past August, I finally did it. I didn’t book an all-inclusive to the blissfully divine white sands of Punta Cana, Dominican Republic like last time. That would have been heavenly, but far too easy. This time I wanted an adventure – a European adventure. Just reread that, horribly cheesy and actually somewhat misleading. It sounds like I embarked on an insanely wild adventure, traveling on trains to unknown territory while constantly being interrupted by a strange Italian man, “Mi Scusi.”  Or at the very least braving a potentially bedbug infested hostel, just to say "I did it." No, no... I took baby steps. Baby steps all the way to my four-star, luxious hotel, 987 Barcelona, in Barcelona, Spain, where I slept peacefully and fully enjoyed, for nine incredible days, all that this breathtakingly gorgeous city has to offer.

Photo I captured outside of Casa Batlló, by Antoni Gaudí, Barcelona.

Even before the spontaneous decision and following week to plan and pack, it began with a iconic film - doesn't it always. If you haven't seen Woody Allen's Vicky Cristina Barcelona, watch it, and prepare yourself for the sudden urge to go there, immediately. And if you can... do it. It's everything the film builds it up to be, with less gun shots and more nudist street sightings.


As any freakishly organized sometimes-blogger would do, I mapped out my travels into categories I wanted to discuss specifically in relation to my Spanish adventure, on a napkin @ lunch one day. Said categories being: Music, Cuisine, Art, Style & Shopping and a miscellaneous for all that does not fit, yet is still worth sharing. With the aid of my photography, relating video and links, and words that I can only hope will portray half the imagination and beauty of this indescribable place - you can see Spain how I saw it this summer through dreamy, star struck eyes... or a big blue telescope @ Port Vell, either way I marvel.
 
Port Vell, Barcelona, Spain.
Stay tuned, and I hope you enjoy. 

0 comments: